Position Title: Postdoctoral Research Associate (Job ID: 316690)
One postdoctoral position is immediately available for highly motivated individuals to work with Dr. Rui Zhang. This position is fully supported by a NIH R01 grant (R01AT009457) and the main responsibility is to accomplish the aims of the grant.
- Have a PhD in related fields (biomedical informatics, computer science/engineering, or information science)
- Have at least one first author papers written in English in previous area of research with accepted or published status in journals or conference proceedings
- Strong analytical and programming skills; experience contributing to a research team; strong organizational and communication skills.
- Familiarity with the health informatics field, terminology and ontology, natural language processing.
- Experience with leading projects within a research team.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of research scientists with different skill sets and expertise.
- Strong experience with peer-reviewed publications.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest and CV to zhan1386(AT)umn.edu with subject line “Postdoctoral application”. You can find detailed information about the program and should submit your application through here.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Informatics, Computational linguistics, Statistics, or related technical disciplines with 1 or more years of research training
- Understanding of algorithms, data-structures and software engineering principles
- Strong programming skills in Python/Perl or Java. Knowledge of C/C++, SQL. The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate these skills with sample code written in these languages
- Understanding of key natural language processing, data mining, machine learning and statistical methods
- Experience working independently in a rapid changing scientific environment
- Experience in natural language processing, text mining in electronic health records, biomedical literature and/or social media data
- Knowledge of medical terminologies and ontologies (e.g., UMLS, SNOMED-CT, ICD)
- Expertise in Machine Learning, Neural Networks and Deep learning for NLP tasks
- Experience in publishing scientific papers in conferences/journals
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of research scientists with different skill sets and expertise
About the Job
Institute of Health Informatics (IHI) (https://healthinformatics.umn.edu) and College of Pharmacy (https://www.pharmacy.umn.edu) in the University of Minnesota is seeking Masters or Ph.D. level programmer to join a team working on multiple research projects in the field of clinical and biomedical informatics and data science. The position is an annually renewable professional academic appointment.
About the Program
IHI provide graduate education programs, carry out research in the area, and evaluate and formulate policy proposals. IHI has been one of the preeminent health informatics institutions in the United States. The Natural Language Processing / Information Extraction (NLP/IE) Program at the IHI is a team of investigators, postdoctoral researchers, programmers, and students who work together on NLP for a variety of clinical and biomedical tasks.
- Design, setup and run computational experiments to execute algorithms on various types of biomedical or healthcare related data
- Develop and modify software and demonstrations
- Proof text, tables, and data analysis files for software, code and experiments
- Implement NLP algorithms, summarize findings and generate study results for research topics
- Write, edit or critique technical reports and/or publications describing research results to sponsors or funders of the research
- Communicate and present analytical results to researchers, faculty, and other academic professionals in associated field of expertise (spoken presentations, poster or written work summaries for display, panels, and other formats).
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Activities" page and uploading documents there.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).